Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

I love Vintage...


I Love Vintage...


Who doesn't like vintage? Tell me..who? Each piece surviving the fast hands of time. Each piece with a story. Each piece with an owner who must of loved it a long time ago.

Living in Prague I've had the opportunity to (re)discover hidden gems from all over. From the communist era to the time where kings and queens ruled, there is a magnificent collection in every corner of this city. My favorite pieces have to be jewelry and books. Every piece of jewelry has a story, a wearer, and a creator. Every book has a writer, a reader, a treasurer, and a survival story.

I've found a few pieces on etsy that I absolutely must share with you. Let's take a look.

I have 2 absolute vintage favorites, jewelry and books...eeek! I get excited just thinking about it.


Vintage Art Deco Tourmaline and Diamond ring set in 14K white gold. by My Estate Sale
This piece SCREAMS Art Deco! Did you know that May was my birthday? Sooo, next year rolls around...never mind, why wait til next year, go ahead and purchase this for me NOW! :-D If you really love me you will buy it for me. A 1930's Vintage Art Deco Tourmaline and Diamond ring set in 14K white gold. I love this piece. Check out their etsy store for TONS more beautiful items.



 
I do believe that like "video killed the radio star", "digital books and iPads and Kindles killed books".
I do own a Sony Reader so I think I can speak about the differences (my husband bought one for me for Christmas). I can appreciate the luxury of having TONS of books in one itty bity thin piece of metal and microchips, conveniently carrying it where ever you go, but there is something about having a book in your hand and feeling the pages that you can't get with an electronic reader.

I can always appreciate a good book, so much so that I don't like sharing my books and I will NEVER throw a book away. Call me compulsive, call me weird, call me a hoarder, but you will NEVER see me throw a book out, no matter how poorly written.

Boy, does not throwing books away pay off. Here is a the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, 1st Editon (I'm drooling already) from 1885 in what seems to be great condition for $525. Ohh, I want that book.

My best tip if you enjoy collecting books as much as I do, go to your local Thrift Store, that's a GOLD MINE of treasures. Unfortunately most people don't realize what they have. As they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure.


Vintage teacup and saucer set by ossianknits

My sister-in-law Didi (check out her cool blog here) recently began collecting teacups. She already has quiet a collection but I bet she doesn't have this one. I think this is so pretty. Oh, know what I just thought of? This is a PERFECT cup to drink your tea from the day of your wedding Didi. What do you think? I think it's lovely.


Oh, and just so everyone knows, thanks to Didi, she some how woke up a sleeping collector in me. So much so that I ended up buying a beautiful Czechoslovakian coffee set at a family run antique store in Karlstejn. I think I was more obsessed with the color and the design. The fact that it only cost us 800CZk ($40.00) convinced my husband to gift it for me. I know, I'm such a cheap wife :)

Oh, I realize I never sent Didi a picture of the set, here, let me show everyone while I am here.



I Love My Coffee Set!




Unfortunately, I can't feature all my great finds on my blog, but I featured a few more in this treasury.


As always, show some love and leave me an e-mail if you want to share some of your finds at RememberLoveJewelry@gmail.com



See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment